Enrollment Process for BLS/ACLS/PALS Providers
Note: The process for signing up for live classes has not changed.
As of January 2020, a new process for AHA enrollment for provider classes will launch on SABA. The following items have changed to make the process easier and faster:
- new more transparent names for the offerings
- fewer steps required for enrollment in offerings
- The hands on portion determines the date of the class for which you sign up; however, the online module is still available immediately, even if the date chosen for the class is in the future.
- The online module must be completed:
- PRIOR to your AHA expiration date
- Within 30 days of starting the module or the module will have to be retaken.
- Within 30 days prior to the hands-on portion.
- The online module does not have to be completed in one setting and may be stopped, paused or restarted at a later date.
- The learner may complete hands-on for both BLS & ACLS or BLS & PALS during same checkoff but please check out AHA FAQ’s for detailed combination possibilities and how to sign up for them at: https://ced.muhealth.org/american-heart-association
- There is no difference between an initial or renewal for the online course portion; all AHA online courses will qualify for either.
- Note: Live classes do still differentiate.
Please visit the calendar of AHA classes, the list of new AHA course names, detailed course descriptions & frequently asked questions (FAQs) and more!
On the following charts to help you as you sign up.
|Course Title||Course ID|
|ACLS online-computerized manikin checkoff||AHA810|
|ACLS online-Unit based Instruct checkoff||AHA870|
|ACLS Live Initial Course||AHA820|
|ACLS Live Renewal Course||AHA830|
|ACLS Instructor Course||AHA850|
|ACLS Instructor Renewal Course||AHA860|
|BLS online-computerized manikin checkoff||AHA710|
|BLS online-CED Instruct checkoff||AHA740|
|BLS online-Unit based Instruct checkoff||AHA770|
|BLS Instructor Course||AHA750|
|BLS Instructor Renewal Course||AHA760|
|BLS Online-ACLS Live Checkoff||AHA780|
|BLS Online-PALS Live Checkoff||AHA790|
|PALS online-computerized manikin checkoff||AHA910|
|PALS online-Unit based Instruct checkoff||AHA970|
|PALS Live Initial Course||AHA920|
|PALS Live Renewal Course||AHA930|
|PALS Instructor Course||AHA950|
|PALS Instructor Renewal Course||AHA960|
AHA Course descriptions
A few things to keep in mind:
- • There is no difference in initial or renewal for online courses, all AHA online classes will cover either. However, live classes do differentiate so sign up accordingly.
- • The hands on portion date and time is what determines which online AHA class to choose.
- • Even if the date chosen for the class is in the future, the online portion will still be available immediately.
- • These classes replace what was formerly called heartcode online.
- • Online classes may be started, stopped, paused or restarted. The user may stop the class to come back to at a later date to finish, but it must be completed prior to your AHA expiration date and within 30 days of starting the module.
- • The hands on portion must be completed within 30 days of the completion of the online module or the module will have to be retaken.
- • Online classes are available 365 days a year, but hands on portion with CED live instructor is only on pre-designated class dates (see calendar link below for dates & location).
- • The calendar for AHA classes are located at this link. https://ced.muhealth.org/sites/ced/files/AHA_BLS_ACLS_PALS_Calendar_2020_upd_Oct302019.pdf
- • CED has a new location: 3215 Lemone industrial Blvd, lower level. ALL LIVE AHA CLASSES ARE AT THIS LOCATION IN ROOM 1023.
- • Instructor courses are offered by approval only, when requirements have been met and attendance justifies a class, the AHA coordinator must be contacted to complete requirements and to obtain permission.
- • Live class sign up process has not changed. For LIVE classes, if it is the first time ever taking the course with no previous provider certification, initial must be taken. If you have taken the course before and already have your provider card then the renewal course is appropriate. BLS is not offered as a live class.
The names and explanations for the online classes are as follows:
You can enroll online from your SABA account, just do a search for the specific class name and it should show you upcoming dates that have seats available. It will only show classes a certain amount of time forward but you can ask it to load more or increase the date range. The bolded names below are how the classes appear in SABA.
BLS online-CED Instruct checkoff – This is a skills check class with a live Instructor, the class date/time that you enroll for is when you report to the CED class and are checked off by a CED BLS Instructor. These classes are held at WCH or MU Health Learning Center 2-3 times a month. You will automatically be assigned the online portion on your Learning Plan, you do not sign up for anything else besides the actual skills check date/time. Upon request we can add the ACLS and/or PALS online module and the skills will be completed at the BLS Skills Check.
BLS online-with computerized manikin checkoff – This used to be called HeartCode and is the computerized program. The date/time you sign up for will reserve a computer here at CED and you will be using that computer to complete the skills portion on the manikin. You will automatically be assigned the online modules and you may complete those prior to your scheduled date or do the online at CED on the date you enrolled for.
Upon request we can add the ACLS and/or PALS online modules and the skills will be completed with the BLS skills on your BLS date, the ACLS/PALS online portion can be completed before your BLS date or within 30 days of the skills – if you do the ACLS/PALS online after the BLS skills, please make sure that you let CED know you have completed it so we can issue the new card.
BLS online-Unit based Instruct checkoff – This option can be used if you make arrangements with a BLS Instructor on one of the units/floors to check off your skills. You will automatically be assigned the online module which must be completed and the certificate (or a picture of it) printed off and taken with you to the skills check. These are set up as one class for the whole month so the date of the class has nothing to do with when you complete the online of do the skills check off – that is entirely between you and the Instructor. ACLS and PALS are also available by this method, BUT you will need to be checked off by an Instructor in that discipline so make sure that if you are doing more than one discipline the Instructor you contact is an instructor for all the disciplines that you are renewing or you may need to do more than one skills check with more than one Instructor.
BLS online- ACLS Live OR BLS online-PALS live Courses – These are one day LIVE classes available for ACLS or PALS and are offered once a month at CED in a classroom setting with Instructors. BLS can be added to either of these classes by enrolling in the BLS Online-ACLS (or PALS) Live Checkoff class on the same date as the live class you are enrolled in or by calling the CED office and requesting that BLS be added.
Hands-on related ?’s:
What if I want to take BLS Online and ACLS online how do I do that and only do ONE check off for both?
What if I want to take BLS Online and PALS online how do I do that and only do ONE check off for both?
Can I do one checkoff if I take PALS online and ACLS online close to the same time but not BLS?
Can a BLS instructor sign off my check off for ACLS or PALS?
Do I have to have an ACLS instructor checkoff my hands-on portion of my ACLS since it’s the same as BLS?
Do I have to have an PALS instructor checkoff my hands-on portion of my PALS since it’s the same as BLS?
How do I know which class to sign up for?